Summer is just around the corner (if it isn’t here already!), and it’s time to dust off your air conditioner and make sure it’s ready to go for when the real heat hits. Here are a few steps to take to get an AC unit ready for another hot season.
- Clean or replace filters. These need to be replaced more often than most people realize (recommendations range from monthly to every six months, depending on usage and type of filter), and it is a quick and easy way to save yourself money (and wear-and-tear on your AC unit).
- Clean the A/C condenser coils (especially if you don’t use a cover in winter).
- Clean the outside and clear debris away from the unit. Check periodically to make sure plants aren’t blocking the unit.
- Check the coolant lines to make sure they are still properly covered in insulation.
- Check and clean the condensation lines that carry condensation out of your air conditioner.
- Check the air vents around your house to make sure they aren’t blocked.
- Clean the fins (carefully!). If they become too bent, there are tools that you can use to straighten them out again.
- Clean the evaporator if it is accessible.
- Check the slab that the unit sits on. A slab that is not level will cause your unit to work harder. This is a yearly check—winter can cause frost heaves that might leave your slab off level.
- Check ductwork for leaks. Leaks in your ductwork leads to increased costs because your unit will be working that much harder.
- Test the unit to make sure it is running properly. Now is the time to find out if you need to call in 4 Seasons Home Comfort, not in the middle of a heatwave!
- Install a programmable thermostat. This is not a necessary item, but it can save you a significant amount of money by not heating or cooling your house when you aren’t in it.
These are all things that, with a bit of repair know-how, homeowners should be able to do themselves. If you have any doubt about your ability to do these spring cleaning items though, don’t hesitate to call in the professionals at 4 Seasons Home Comfort.
Contact 4 Seasons Home Comfort to schedule your air conditioner maintenance or visit our showroom at 3620 9th Ave North in Lethbridge.